Yes, it’s completely from scratch and it is much easier than you thought! If you have a few hours to sit around and smell simmering tomato sauce, you should try this immediately.
Goes great with homemade meatballs!
- 10 Roma Tomatoes (peeled and seeds removed)
- 1 Can Tomato Paste
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Bulb Roasted Garlic (or 4 cloves non-roasted, minced)
- 1/2 Medium Onion (finely chopped)
- 1/2 Medium Carrot (grated)
- 1/2 Cup Parsley (chopped)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Thyme
- 1 Teaspoon Oregano
- 1 Teaspoon Basil
- 2 Bay Leaves
- Sea Salt (to taste)
- Fresh Ground Pepper (to taste)
- 1 Roasted Red Pepper (optional)
- Heat olive oil over medium and add onion, garlic (if not roasted) and carrot. Cook until onion is translucent.
- Add all other ingredients. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 2-3 hours. Stir periodically to break up tomatoes.
- Optional: 30 minutes before the sauce is finished, add in a full medium carrot. This can help remove acidity and make the sauce sweeter.
- Remove carrot (if added) and bay leaves.
I found this made enough sauce for 5-6 plates of pasta. Not bad!